Urbanista

Urbanista #13 Plokštinė Ballistic Missile Launch Base-Cold War Museum

With the help of European Structural Funds today the former underground missile base is newly opened after the reconstruction and hosts the Cold War Museum in Lithuania.

When the United States started building underground military bases, the Soviet Union felt it had to maintain its military advantage. For that reason in September 1960 in the village of Plokščiai the Soviets began to build rapidly an underground military base, one of the first in the S. U. The shore of the nearby Plateliai lake and the Plokštinė forests Continue reading

Share

Urbanista #12 Abandoned Nuclear Warhead Missiles Storage Lithuania

This is the first nuclear ballistic medium-range missile base of the Soviet Union. After twelve years of operations, the site was shut down.

This Storage bunker once kept the warheads for the secret missile launch base in Plokštinė in Lithuania.

The site appears to have been Continue reading

Share

Urbanista #11 Abandoned Rucava’s Soviet Radio Communications Military Base

The first location I visited in Latvia was this abandoned air defense ex-soviet military base. As any other Military buildings this Radio division was built as economically as possible using standard design.

The Devision Complex is organized around 5 service buildings in the open are outside the Continue reading

Share

Urbanista #10 Abandoned Paper Mill / Abandonada Cartonera el Papiol

Today’s stalker trip is – an Abandoned Paper Mill near Barcelona. El Cartonera – El Papiol was build in 1793 and the mill was one of the most productive paper and carton mills in the area. In the beginning of 20 century diesel engines replaced the water mills. The building has 5 floors and 180 windows.

After massive flooding in 1983 some parts of the buildings collapsed and the Factory closed doors forever. Some parts of the three main buildings

Continue reading

Share

Urbanista #9 Cement Plant Conveyor

The upper part of the Cement Conveyor is build over 3 supporting concrete pylons. The belt line is from covered type and in very good condition. The line stopped production in 2012.

Some small trees plantation can be found inside the conveyor pipe – next to the connecting points. Strong winds hitting the structure most Continue reading

Share

Urbanista #8 Abandoned Caserna del Carrabiners

The first building from the headquarters was built in 1844. Sponsored by Royal “Carrabiners” this Guard post has been used for monitoring the coast line sailing, and preventing contraband of tobacco. The climate in the area during this period was reason for malaria and tuberculoses.
The main plan of the buildings include 3 main blocks, connected in square and one side from Continue reading

Share

Urbanista #7 Abandoned Casa de Semafor

The House of the signals is abandoned building from XIX century. Good choice for half day trip or picnic, because it is located inside reserve od Delta del Llobregat. You can combine it with visit to Caserna dels Carrabiners which is 150 meters away.Access is free and save because the building has been renovated into park Mirador(Watch Tower).

Build on massive 3 meters stone blocks to resist sea power it has been used for naval navigation and for early informing for contraband ships.

It used to communicate by flag signals with the Continue reading

Share

Urbanista #6 Dachau Concentration camp

1933-few weeks after Adolf Hitler were elected for Reich Chancellor, a concentration camp for political prisoners was set up in Dachau(German town of the same name – 10 miles Northwest of Munich).

The first prisoners arrived in Dachau on March 22, 1933, two days after the acting Munich Chief of Police and Reichsführer SS Heinrich Himmler announced the camp’s creation.

During the first year, the camp held about 4,800 prisoners and by 1937 the number had risen to 13,260. Initially the internees consisted primarily of German Communists, Continue reading

Share

Urbanista #5 Kormakitis’ abandoned elementary school in Cyprus

kormakitis 1950Hidden on the North-West of Island of Cyprus, one small village, still keep memories of what happened around 40 years ago. Until the Turkish invasion of 1974, the town of Kormakitis was known as a center of Maronite culture, but according to United Nations estimates only 165 Maronites remained in Northern Cyprus in 2001. The village school was constructed in 1962, and it was able to enroll 210 students and employ seven Continue reading

Share
Page 1 of 212